Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Oats, It's What's For Dinner

I know, I know, you're thinking "What crazy, ridiculous meal do you want us to eat now?!"

It's just oats. For dinner. But not in that desserty, fruity, breakfasty way you usually eat oats.

No, my friends. Oats in a cheesy, savory, comforting kind of way.

As you can imagine after having spent a magical (yes, magical) 10 days in Europe, drinking Sangria, eating tapas, and enjoying beautiful views, my first day back to work was a tough one. You're feeling bad for me, aren't you? I know. Poor me. All the calm I had experienced on my trip immediately melted away as soon as my ass hit the desk chair.

When I came home from work that first day, all I wanted was a big ol' bowl of something comforting. And a bottle of wine. To myself. That box of Annie's Mac and Cheese taunted me from the pantry, but I thought to myself, "Self, you need something slightly more nutritious (and less carby) then a box of mac and cheese."

This is where savory oats came in! Savory oats are something I have seen before on a few of the blogs I frequent. Seemed a little weird, but I like weird. It actually turned out to be delicious! It reminded me of risotto.

Which you will not agree with now that I suggested it. But you would have thought so too had I not said anything. You're so bratty.

Topped with homegrown tomatoes and left over roasted veggies

Savory Oats

by Bonnie Graham
Keywords: entree vegetarian oats smoked paprika
Ingredients (2 servings)
  • 1/2 c regular oats
  • 1 c water
  • 1/2 c milk
  • 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast (the cheeze factor or you can use parmesan)
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • dash of tumeric (for color)
  • salt and pepper
Instructions
1. In a medium pot, mix together al your ingredients over high heat until it starts to bubble.
2. Once bubbling, reduce heat and let cook for several minutes, adding a little bit extra milk if needed.
3. Prepare toppings of your choice while oats continue to cook.
4. Plate up and enjoy your bowl of oats!
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment