Thursday, October 18, 2012

Dirty Veggies, Part 11

I think I've gone a little buck wild on squash.

Right now, I have three acorn squash, 1 huge butternut squash, 1 patty pan squash (which I have no idea what to do with, thanks Mom!), and 1 spaghetti squash all sitting on my kitchen counter. It's just so hard when you walk around the farmer's market and see all these amazing (and cheap) squash there!

However, the real star of this week's farmer's market is this guy:


Meet Romesco. Or, as Jerry referred to him, Little Shop of Horrors. Feeeed meeeee, Seymour!

Romesco is an alien variation of cauliflower. When I saw this bad boy at the farmer's market for only $1.50/lb, I knew I had to get him. I have never made (or eaten) Romesco before, but I always wanted too. I'm not sure exactly what I am going to do with him, but I'm sure it'll be delicious.

This is the stuff I am talking about, people, when I talk about the farmer's market. Where else would I have been able to buy this guy if it wasn't for the market. I certainly haven't seen him in Stop and Shop. That's what makes the market so amazing. And why you should go do it.

Okay, okay, I'm stepping down off the soapbox.

Here's the weekly roundup:
7 onions (red and white) - $2.95
1 head of garlic - $1.25
1 bunch Swiss Chard - $2.00
1 bunch fresh sage - $1.75
3 lemons - $1
6 Bosc pears - $2.25
1 head of Romesco - $2.25
2 green peppers - $1
1 spaghetti squash - $2.25
Total: $16.70

To learn more about Dirty Veggie posts, read here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment