Monday, October 22, 2012

Hi, I'm Bonnie and I'm a Diabetic.....

On the first day of yoga teacher training, we were paired off as an icebreaker to get to know one another. The person you were paired with was the one was going to introduce you to the rest of the group and then vice versa. Because of the odd number of students, we had three in our group. 

As we went around asking each other where we were from and what we did as our day jobs, I wondered if I should share that I am type 1 diabetic. Do I introduce myself as though I'm at an Alcoholic Anonymous meeting? Hi, I'm Bonnie and I'm a diabetic? Would a purpose be served in sharing this information? 

I am really of two minds about it. One mind feels like this is private information that a room full of strangers don't necessarily need to know. I'm not embarrassed or ashamed. Hell, I don't even mind questions, but no one else seems to announce any of their preexisting health conditions. Right? 

The other mind says that it could be useful information in this setting. It's a safety issue, really. Any person involved in the teaching and training of others in a physical way should be aware of these health conditions, what issues might come up in class, and why it's good to know. I will be telling all the instructors so they know why I walk away from my mat in the middle of a Sun Salutation to eat applesauce. Another reason to share is that I like being an advocate for diabetes awareness, especially type 1, since so few seem to have accurate information about it. 

As time ticked down on our ice-breaker in class, the decision needed to be made on whether or not to share. I decided against it. I figured it would all come out in time. After all, I wear my pump during class, keep honey packets by my mat, and frequently check my blood sugar. Some smartypants will put it together.   At some point, when I actually know all these people's names, it will be a no-brainer. 

Until then....hi, I'm Bonnie and I like yoga. 

No comments:

Post a Comment