I see it as a challenge! The apples are challenging me to eat them! And I do. In every possible variation.
Two simple ways to enjoy all those fall apples are in apple sauce and apple butter. These recipes are reeeeeeediculously easy and delicious. So easy, it makes you spell bad, yo. Also, there is no added sugar. Yay for those of us with broken pancreases!
Slower Cooker Apple Sauce and Apple Butter
Keywords: slow-cooker sauce apples cinnamon fall
- 5 lbs sweet and tart apples, leaving skins on - the natural pectin in the skin helps to thicken the sauce
- 1 - 2 tsp cinnamon, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg, or to taste
- juice of 1 lemon
InstructionsFor Apple Sauce:
1. Slice apples and add to slow cooker. Add lemon juice and spices.
2. Set to low heat for 4 hours. Stir occasionally if you can.
3. After 4 hours, remove from slow cooker and puree sauce to desired consistency. Enjoy!For Apple Butter:
1. Follow the directions for the apple sauce, except puree until their are no lumps and mixture is smooth.
2. Add pureed apples back to the slow cooker. Cook on high for 1 hour without the cover on. Stir occasionally if you can.
3. You can cook longer if you're looking for a more caramel-y consistency, but you'll end up with less apple butter.
Powered by Recipage