Sunday, October 7, 2012

I've Got a Problem

Okay...fine...I have many problems. But this post will focus on just one.

I'm sure you won't be shocked to learn that it's pumpkin. Pumpkin is my problem. Never at any other time of year do I crave one single thing like I do for all things pumpkin in Autumn. Cakes, breads, cookies, soups, chili, curries, beers, ice cream, body scrubs, whatever.

I want pumpkin EVERYTHING! And all of the lovely, warming spices that go along with it. I've been adding cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and clove to everything I'm making. Even if it's scrambled eggs. No, no, just kidding. For now. 

The problem I have with this spice list, besides the obvious scrambled egg debacle, is that I can never get the ratios correct. I love all of these spices on their own and in combination that I tend to over-do it in most things I make.

Well, not with this one, in this one, I actually got the right combination of spice, flavors, and pumpkin.


Here's another problem I have (I told you there were many). I like to bake. I am diabetic. The two don't really mesh well. Additionally, Jerry is one of those people who says that he doesn't like desserts or baked goods. He's also one of those people who will finish off an entire tray of brownies when you're not looking. My baking makes Jerry angry because he knows that I'll eat one of whatever I've just baked and he'll eat the rest. See, problems.

In an attempt to meet my baking jones and not have my boyfriend hate me every time the oven timer dings, I have halved this recipe to make only 6 muffins instead of the usual dozen. You can easily double it to accommodate non-fat kid needs.

Pumpkin Streusel Muffins

by Bonnie Graham
Cook Time: 23 - 25 minutes
Keywords: bake breakfast snack vegetarian oats pumpkin cinnamon coconut oil fall
Ingredients (6 muffins)
    Cinnamon Streusel Ingredients:
    • 1 tbsp sucanat or sweetener of your choices
    • 1 tbsp butter, margarine, or coconut oil - I used coconut oil
    • 1 tbsp oat flour
    • 2 tbsp rolled oats
    • 1 tsp cinnamon
    Muffin Ingredients:
    • 1/2 c oat flour (finely ground oats)
    • 1/4 c whole wheat pastry flour
    • 1 t baking powder
    • 1/4 tsp baking soda
    • 1/4 tsp salt
    • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
    • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
    • 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
    • pinch of ground cloves (optional)
    • 3 tbsp milk
    • 1/2 c pumpkin puree
    • 2 tbsp butter, margarine, or coconut oil - I used coconut oil
    • 1/4 c sucanat or sweetener of your choice
    Instructions
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    2. Make streusel by combining all ingredients and set aside.
    3. For muffins, combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. Mix well.
    4. Mix pumpkin, milk, oil and sweetener of choice. Fold wet ingredients into dry and stir until just moistened.
    5. Spoon half of batter into 6 muffin tins that has been greased. Top with half of the streusel and swirl in with a knife. Spoon remaining batter on top of streusel and top with remaining streusel.
    6. Bake for 23 - 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan for at least 10 minutes.
    Powered by Recipage

    No comments:

    Post a Comment