Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Trickery

I'm like one of those little kids who steals a cookie and feels so bad about it that she comes clean even though nobody would have ever notice that the cookie was gone.

I sort of tricked you guys last week. My Farm Love post didn't actually have the list of veggies I bought last week. It was a picture from the week before. Gasps! Atrocious, I know! How can I be such a liar?!

In my haste to get back into posting, I used an old picture in the post rather then share what I had actually bought but had yet to photograph. The shame.

It's okay though. Because I'm bringing you a ridiculously awesome Taco Bar menu for your next shindig (that I'm hoping you're still going to invite me to despite the fact that my pants are on fire). In an attempt to save money (which it did not), I invited some of my best girlies over for dinner at my place, with a Mexican Taco Bar theme! Which was completed by a sweltering hot apartment. Authenticity is my middle name. 

Taco Bar Party

Starters & Toppings
Pico de Gallo (recipe to come)
Guacamole
Pickled Red Onions (recipe to come)
Sliced radishes and fresh cilantro
Queso Fresco

Taco Filling Options
Chile Lime Shredded Chicken
Creamy Roasted Poblano Peppers and Onions (recipe to come)

Sides
Mexican Street Corn Salad (recipe to follow)
Black Beans and Rice

Dessert was supplied by my friend, Jess, who had just returned from a trip to Israel. However, I probably would have made something along the lines of Mexican Hot Chocolate.

Mexican Street Corn Salad

by Bonnie Graham
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Keywords: salad side cilantro corn sriracha smoked paprika
Ingredients (3 - 4)
  • 3 ears of corn, kernels removed from cob
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 garlic clove, peeled
  • 1/2 to 1 jalapeno, chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped scallions
  • 2-3 tablespoons mayo (optional)
  • juice from 2-3 limes, plus extra for serving
  • 1/3 cup crumbled queso fresco (but you also use a stronger cheese like cojita)
  • a big handful of cilantro
  • 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • salt
  • sriracha for serving (optional)
Instructions
1. Remove kernels from corn cobs by running a sharp knife down along side the cob. Add to your bowl.
2. Chop up both garlic and jalapeno finely. Careful with those jalapenos. Be sure to wash your hands thoroughly after handling. Add to bowl along with chopped scallions.
3. Mix in mayo (if using), cheese, paprika, cilantro, lime juice, and salt. Toss well.
4. Add a few squirts (as desired) of sriracha to the top and serve.
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment