Thursday, July 5, 2012

To Carb or Not to Carb?

That is (most often) the question.

On my home from work the other night, as I sat in two hours of traffic because some jackhole in a tractor trailer decided to take on an overpass on the Bronx River Parkway, I thought about what I would make myself for dinner. I ran through the list of ingredients in our fridge, playing with the different, satisfying combinations that could be my meal. I remembered that we had flour tortillas.

Hmm...flour tortillas, flour tortillas....I can make a burrito! Yes, a veggie/bean burrito with sour cream and melted cheddar cheese. Sold, my friends!

Then, the question that almost always comes next...how well did I eat today and is it worth the carbs?

Sometimes, yes, it really is worth the carbs. That piece of cake? That cup of fro-yo? Definitely worth it.
That whole wheat and flax tortilla? Meh, not so much.

Having already decided on a Mexican-American style meal, I needed to re-group....focus...plan out my other options. Making dinner is serious business in these parts! That's when I decided on the Burrito Bowl Salad. Basically, I was taking everything that I would have stuffed into my burrito, tossed it into a bowl, and ate it with a fork instead of my grubby, little hands.

It worked out quite well. No additional insulin required. Yay me!



Burrito Bowl Salad

by Bonnie Graham
Keywords: salad vegetarian beans tempeh tomato



Ingredients (1 big-ass salad)
  • 1 1/2 c black beans
  • 1 c fresh corn kernels
  • 1/2 c red scallions, sliced
  • 1 large tomato, diced
  • 1/2 c low fat cheddar cheese, shredded
  • handful of mint (or cilantro or parsley), chopped
  • 1/2 package of tempeh, sliced into 1/4' pieces
  • 3 tbsp of taco seasoning, divided (preferred Trader Joe's)
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1/2 c sour cream
Instructions
1. Toss your sliced tempeh with a little bit of oil and 2 tbsp of taco seasoning, or enough to coat. Heat frying pan over medium heat and add tempeh slices.
2. Toss all ingredients, except for the remaining taco seasoning and sour cream, into a bowl.
3. Pan fry tempeh until a light golden brown. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together sour cream and remaining taco seasoning. Use this as your dressing.
5. Add cooled tempeh and enjoy your "burrito."

* Indicates that produce was grown locally throughout NY, NJ, and PA.
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment