Friday, July 13, 2012

Almighty Chickpea, Part 2

For this next installment of way too many recipes including chickpeas, I take inspiration from my favorite falafel place, Mamoun's.

If you have never been to Mamoun's, get your ass on a plane, train, magic school bus, whatever, and get to one immediately.

Maybe it's because I'm a New Yorker. Maybe it's because Mamoun's reminds me of cutting school as an obnoxious adolescent, wandering in and out of the St. Mark's tattoo parlors and sex shops....umm, I mean bookstores. Hi Mom! Whatever it is Mamoun's. Is. Awesome.

As a teen, I never traveled any where without at least $10, maybe even $20 in my pocket! With a budget like that, a $2 falafel sandwich was probably all I could really afford.

Lucky for me, it just happens to be the best damn falafel sandwich I have ever eaten!

A Mamoun's has just opened up here in Jersey. Seeeeee! Some people do actually want to come to Jersey. Jerry and I were making it our weekly date place (big spenders) despite it not exactly being the healthiest (or most diabetic-friendly) meal.

I decided that with 14 tons of chickpeas in our fridge, I'd try to "health up" our falafel. Of course, this nothing in comparison to our beloved Mamoun's, but I try.




Baked Falafel Patties

by Bonnie Graham
Keywords: food processor side snack entree vegetarian beans cilantro tahini Mediterranean

Ingredients (7 -8 patties)
  • 1 1/2 c garbanzo beans
  • 1 small onion
  • 2-3 garlic cloves
  • 1 handful fresh parsley
  • 1 handful fresh cilantro
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp tahini
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1 tspcoriander
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp dried red pepper flakes (optional)
  • 2 - 3 tbsp whole wheat flour, depending on consistency
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Add garlic cloves to food processor and process into smaller pieces.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients to the food processor. Run processor, but leave the mixure fairly lumpy.
4. Form into small balls, about 1 1/2″ in diameter and slightly flatten.
5. Place onto an oiled or parchment lined backing sheet.
6. Bake for 15 minutes on each side, or until nicely browned (since it’s baked, only the part actually touching the pan will be browned and crispy).
7. Serve with pita, hummus, tahini sauce, tomatoes, lettuce and hto sauce!
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment