Friday, July 27, 2012

"Fun" Food

Do you have "fun" foods in your kitchen? The foods that you tend to eat first because there's something more appealing about them. It's like eating all of the flavored yogurts before getting to the vanilla one. Choosing the BBQ chips over regular plain. Who wants to eat plain chips?! Using strawberry jam before the boring grape jelly. You know what I'm talking about.

With Jerry home for the last few weeks, our "fun" foods have been disappearing much more quickly then usual. Because of the never-ending (but now over) ConEd lockout, Jerry has been eating at home more. Which is probably great for his health. Not so great for our food supply.

Because I've really been trying to hold myself to that weekly grocery budget of $50, I've stopped myself from running to the grocery store every time we are low on "fun" foods. Which means I've needed to get slightly more creative with some of the basics in our fridge and pantry.


Usually, I pack myself a lunch every day and never leave the house without eating breakfast first. When I realized that we were out of salad fixin's and I had maxed on PB&J, I decided to make myself a frittata with whatever veggies were in my fridge. It turned out to be pretty damn yummy and quite packable for lunch!

For me, I realize that I prefer my frittatas slightly undercooked. If you prefer to have your eggs more stiff, then leave under the broiler for a few minutes longer.

Veggie Frittata for One

by Bonnie Graham
Keywords: breakfast entree eggs corn spinach smoked paprika





Ingredients (1 7' inch frittata)
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 tbsp water
  • 1/3 c fresh or frozen corn kernals
  • 1/2 small red onion, chopped
  • 1 handful of baby spinach
  • 2 tbsp ricotta cheese (or preferred cheese)
  • 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
  • salt and peper to taste
Instructions
1. Preheat broiler to low tempature. Then, heat omelet pan over medium heat. Spray with olive oil.
2. Add chopped onions to pan and saute for a few minutes
3. Meanwhile, beat eggs with tbsp of water until frothy. Add smoked paprika.
4. Add corn and spinach to hot pan. Saute a few minutes longer.
5. Pour eggs into pan. Add salt and pepper.
6. Using a spatula, move the eggs along as you would at the beginning of scramble eggs, but do not scramble them.
7. Let eggs cook for a few minutes until the sides begin to set.
8. Drop pieces of ricotta along the top of the frittata. Place under broiler until desired consistency in reached.
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment