Saturday, March 3, 2012

Sophie's Choice

As spring slowly creeps its way into view, we bid farewell to Hot Chocolate Season. But not without my sharing a homemade hot chocolate recipe. Because, unfortunately, Hot Chocolate season isn't exactly conducive to Diabetes Season, which isn't seasonal at all!

While I managed last year with a hot cocoa mix from Trader Joe's, which was only 15g of carbs per serving, it's a little expensive. $4.99 for the can! My cheap gene shows through when I'm clutching that hot chocolate tin in the check-out line, still not completely committed to buying it, but knowing that I'm going to have to make a decision soon! It's like Sophie's Choice on that line!

The other night I was craving some hot chocolate, but didn't have any of my overpriced TJ mix. I looked through the roomie's options of Swiss Miss, which still only had 23g of carbs, but also a crapton of chemicals in it! Not like my pure, delicious TJ's one.

I decided that I was just going to make it homemade. I do have a real cocoa sitting in my pantry, just waiting for diabetes to go away so I can start making delicious cakes and muffins and pies, oh my! This was actually pretty easy and much better then the processed, chemicalized SwissMiss version.




Pumpkin Pie Spiced Hot Chocolate - because you got to slip the pumpkin in every way you can!
Serves 1

Ingredients
1 1/2 tbsp cocoa
1-2 packets truvia (for the diabetics) or 2 - 4 tsps sugar - the less sugar, the more bitter the flavor
pinch of salt - helps to bring out chocolate flavors
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice or any flavoring of your choosing
1 c milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extra or any extract of your choosing

Method
1. In small saucepan, combine the cocoa, truvia/sugar, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. Add a little bit of milk to help bind the cocoa. Put on over medium low heat. Stirring ingredients until sugar is dissolved or the mix comes together in thickish liquid.
2. Slowly add milk while whisking. Be sure to whisk up all the cocoa from the sides of the pan. Add vanilla extract.
3. Let come to a very low simmer before removing from heat, being sure to whisk several more times to incorporate the cocoa mixture.
4. Pour into a cup and enjoy!

As an aside, I love when I do spell check and it highlights "crapton" as an error. It makes me chuckle!

1 comment:

  1. Hey! So I only ever make hot cocoa with pure cocoa at home and I sweaten it with raw honey! It's super de duper good! You would love it. Also you can add a few shakes of cayanne for a kick or a drop of vanilla =) - I'm a bad influence lol

    ReplyDelete