Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Doubled Over

On the first day of my detox, I was doubled over in pain.

It's not clear how much that had to do with the detox or my stupidity. I had a dull pain start in my back and slowly creep its way over to my side and lower abdomen. Intially, I tried to ignore it, thinking it was fleeting cramps or something.

But as the day progressed, it got more intense. I began racking my brain for possible causes. I googled different ailments and the locations of certain organs. Was this my pancreas trying to bust out? Figuring he wasn't working anyway might as well take a road trip? Seriously. I googled the location of my pancreas. No, pancreas was too high for this pain. What about an appendicitis? That sounds like it could hurt. Nope, wrong side.

Between my writhing and fruitless google searching, I gave in and went home. Only to realize in the car that I had eaten raw almonds on an empty stomach earlier that day. For some reason, I always forget that raw almonds will cause me to feel as though an alien is trying to escape into the outside world by ripping its' way through my bellybutton until the damage has been done and I'm trying to decide if I should pull over to the side of the road to take the fetal position in the backseat of my car!

And, of course, it always passes.

A couple hours after arriving home (or, rather, to Jerry's), I felt fine. And hungry. Keeping with this detox is hard, especially when you think it's trying to kill you...and you go to the diner for dinner.
Truth be told, I did pretty well by just eating the salad bar and a bowl of vegetarian-friendly lentil soup. Yay me.

No comments:

Post a Comment