Friday, March 16, 2012

Oh...Duh!

Here I am posting about my second week of detoxing and didn't even update you on the first!
Here's a quick run-down.

What's Off Limits During the Entire Plan: processed food or beverages, added sugar, dairy, gluten, caffeine, and alcohol
What I Ate During Week 1: fruits, vegetables, and plant-based fats, including nuts, seeds, and oils
What I Added Back in Week 2: seafood, beans and lentils, and organic soy
What I Will Add Back in Week 3: gluten-free grains and dairy

How's the detox going so far?
So far, this detox hasn't been too bad. Except for getting a cold. Which really can't be blamed on the detox, but more on the booger-handed kids I work with. The majority of my cravings haven't been for what I was expecting, like desserts and other sugary treats, but for all food in general.
I. Just. Want. To. Keep. EATING!!!

It's not because I'm hungry. I just feel this incessant need to put things in my mouth! ::Insert dirty joke here:: I've also really missed my Friday/Saturday/"whatever night of the week it might be" glass of wine.  Ah, my mother must be so proud!

Overall, this detox has definitely made me more aware of what I have been feeding my body. Initially, I joked that I had a sugar addition, but I do truly believe that it is true. In fact, studies actually show that we can become physically addicted to fat and sugar. Our bodies starts to crave it the way it would coke or heroine. How fucked up is that?!

In the two weeks that I have been following this plan, I have had amazing blood sugar, more energy, and more restful sleep! I have developed a wicked addiction to Lara Bars, which is better then candy bars. I see that my portion control has definitely been out of wack. Lastly, I have realized how mindless my eating can be.

For example, I went into our supply closet at work where we keep snacks, juice boxes, etc. for the kids in our group. While I was sorting through it, I came across a bag of M&Ms. Immediately, my mind thought "Oo, M&Ms!" and I reached for the bag. I, then , stopped because I remembered I was on this detox. When I took a few more minutes to think about it, I realized how mindlessly I would have eaten that handful of M&Ms. I wasn't even hungry. I didn't need a chocolate fix. It was just there.

Oh. And do I need to point out that I'm a diabetic? Handfuls of M&Ms really shouldn't be in the daily repertoire.
If I walk away from this detox with nothing more then an increased awareness of what I feed my body, I feel this detox has done its job.

No comments:

Post a Comment