Saturday, March 10, 2012

Out of the Box

As part of my detox, I've been spending some time with my old friend, the Smoothie!

I use to be a frequent smoothie-maker. Until diabetes, that is!

I eventually cut myself off from them. It wasn't one of those "I have no self-control, so I'm going to take this jar out of the garbage and eat it" cut-offs. It was more of a "I'm a diabetic now and figuring out insulin for a smoothies seems too hard" kind of cut-offs.

My smoothie making ability was further impacted when I decided that I was only going to eat local and organic foods, which, unfortunately limits the amount of fruit you can put into a smoothie. When was the last time you saw a banana tree growing in the North East? I usually use bananas as a creamy base for my smoothies, but while on a trip to Coast Rica, I actually "toured" a banana plantation. I use the word "toured" loosely because really all we did was watch hard-working citizens of this third world country in the Dole Banana Factory while crazy gringos snapped souvenir pictures to bring home!

When I combine that image with the thought of how those bananas make it to our shelves here in the US, you can understand my hesitation of consumption.

However, this recent detox inspired me to think outside the box when it comes to my smoothies. Here's an array of "outside of the box" smoothie recipes that are surprisingly delicious! No. Really.

Sweet Tater Smoothie

Ingredients
1/2 c sweet mashed potatoes
1/2-1c milk (I used almond milk)
1 package vanilla protein powder
handful of ice
1/2-1t cinnamon
1t fresh grated ginger
1t vanilla
few shakes of nutmeg

Method
1. Throw it all in a blender and let it go! Add more liquid, until desired consistency is met.


Carrot Cake Smoothie - Seriously good

Ingredients
2 carrots, steamed
1/2 apple, roughly chopped
1/2 - 1 c. milk (I used almond)
1 1/2 tsp freshly grated ginger (or to taste)
1/2 t. vanilla
1/2 cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom (or to taste)
1 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional)
1/4 c. old-fashioned oats (optional)
sweetner to taste (though you don't really need it)

Method
1. Throw it all in a blender and let it go! Add more liquid, until desired consistency is met.


Beet-Carrot-Fruit Smoothie - Doesn't it look pretty?

Ingredients
1 small beet, steamed
2 carrots, steamed
1/2 apple, roughly chopped
1/2 pear, roughly chopped
1 - 2 cups water
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp freshly grated ginger (or to taste)

Method
1. Throw it all in a blender and let it go! Add more liquid, until desired consistency is met.



Moldy Cake Batter Smoothie - Moldy, not because of taste, but because of looks! Live a little! Try it!
Ingredients
1 handful spinach leaves- I swear you can't taste it!
1/2 - 1 c. milk (I used almond)
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
1/4 c. old-fashioned oats
1 t. sunflower seed butter
1/4 c. organic cottage cheese
1/2 t. vanilla
8-9 ice cubes
sweetner to taste

Method
1. Throw it all in a blender and let it go! Add more liquid, until desired consistency is met.

No comments:

Post a Comment