Thursday, August 11, 2011

Frugual.....

My frugality has been well-documented on this blog, like when it comes to oat bran and discount salad. However, there are times when my cheapness doesn't even make sense to me. Case in point, it's summer time. Basil is growing like wild flowers. My parents have four large basil plants growing rapidly in their garden. Whole bunches are on sale at the supermarket, fruit and vegetable stand, farmer's markets, etc.

Despite the fact that basil is all over the place, there is a piece of me that still feels guilty using a whole basil plant to make pesto. Why? I have no idea! But I just can't bring myself to do it. Maybe it's because basil is too pretty to chop up beyond recognition. Or maybe it's because I'm just too cheap to use up all of something in one shot.

When I saw my basil plant whithering away in this ridiculous summer heat, I knew I had to act. Can you feel the urgency? It would be a shame to let that basil go to waste. But I couldn't bring myself to use all of it, so I cut it with arugula. I've been on a bit of an arugula kick lately. It has a nice peppery flavor.

Thus (isn't that a great word?), Basil-Arugula Pesto was created!


Basil-Arugula Pesto

Ingredients
1 large bunch of basil leaves
1 large handful arugula leaves
1/4 c walnuts
1 - 2 garlic cloves
1/4 - 1/2 tsp dried oregano
zest of 1 small lemon
salt and pepper
1/2 c olive oil (or until desired consistency is reach)*

*You can also halve the amount of olive oil and use veggie broth instead. It makes for a thinner consistency, but is a healthy, delicious alternative.

Method
1. Throw everything, except the olive oil, into a food processor.
2. Blend together and slowly add in olive oil until desired consistency is reached.
3. Serve over grilled veggies, fish, or pasta!

No comments:

Post a Comment