What do you do when a stupid hurricane (which actually ends up to NOT be a hurricane) ruins your weekend plans?
If you're me, you make (diabetic-friendly) bread and eat soup!
Whole Wheat Oatmeal Bread with Flax
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tbsp apple sauce
2 tbsp brown rice syrup (or sweetner of your choice)
2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup flax seeds, grounded
1/4 cup whole flax seeds (for texture)
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup milk
Optional throw-ins: walnuts, dried fruit, etc.
1. Preheat overn to 450 degrees
2. Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl. You can choose to process the oats to a flour if you'd like a finer bread.
3. Mix in all wet ingredients. Stir until well combined.
4. Pour batter into greased loaf pan. Scatter small pads of butter over the top.
5. Bake for 20 - 30 minutes or until brown and golden on top.
Best warm out of the oven, toasted, or dipped into tomato soup.
You don't have tomato soup? Well good thing my fat kid survival skills kick in during natural disasters and I cook my ass off. Because now, I have an easy tomato soup recipe for you.
You can thank me later.
Quick Tomato Soup
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tsp dried oregano
1 28oz can diced tomatoes
salt and pepper
1/2 can evaporated fat free milk
Optional: 1 cup prepared brown rice (I had extra in the fridge)
Garnish: 1 tsp prepared pesto (also, extra in the fridge)
1. Saute onion, garlic, carrots, and oregano with olive oil in large pot until onions are translucent and carrots are beginning to soften. Salt and pepper as you go.
2. Add canned tomatoes and let simmer for 15 - 20 minutes.
3. Turn off the heat and use immersion blender to puree soup, leaving it as thin or as chunky as you like. If you don't have an immersion blender, you can puree some of it in a regular blender.
4. While still off the heat, add the evaporated milk. It gives the soup a nice creaminess without adding fat.
5. Place back on the heat for a few minutes to warm through, but don't boil once milk has been added.
Enjoy with fresh homemade bread while waiting for a "hurricane" to pass over your head!