Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Spring Salad Soup

Yup, all those words are suppose to be together. 

This weekend, I was at my local fruit and vegetable stand, United Brothers in Astoria. It's awesome! Things are definitely cheaper here then at the regular supermarket. And as I have mentioned before, I am cheap!

Case in point, I shopping along with my little basket, checking out what looked good. I happened to come across a 3.5lb bag of spring salad mix for $3.50!!!! Do you know how much salad that is?! I know...you're as excited as I am.

Some may say that it's not really that great of a deal, considering that the lettuce goes bad in an hour. But whatever, haters! I figure I'd eat salad every day for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, it was that good of a sale! Plus, there was a soup recipe I had been wanting to try using salad. Well, it actually called for spinach, but who cares?! I'm dealing with a sale here people!

Needless to say, I bought the bargain bag and made my soup, which actually came out quite good. The next time you have salad in your fridge and you're not sure what to do with it, make some soup! It's not as gross as you think. :) Also, impact on blood sugar = minimal. It is salad after all!

Spring Salad Soup

Ingredients
1 cup chopped green onions (about 1 bunch) --also on sale 3 for $.99!
2 tbsp olive oil
6 packed cups pre-washed spring baby lettuce mix
5 cups vegetable broth or water (or half and half)
1 16-oz bag frozen green peas
4 - 5 peeled garlic cloves and roughly chopped
2 tsp dried basil
1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
roughly 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup non-fat plain yogurt

Method
1. In a large saucepan set over medium heat, cook the green onions and garlic in olive oil stirring, until softened, about 4-5 minutes.
2. Stir in salad mix, broth, peas, basil, parsley, and lemon zest. Simmer soup 10 minutes or until lettuce is wilted. Remove from heat.
3. With an immersion blender or regular blender, purée soup until smooth, adding additional broth to thin to desired consistency.
4. Return to saucepan and whisk in lemon juice and yogurt (off the heat--yogurt will curdle if soup is reheated).
5. Generously season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with dollops of yogurt if you'd like.

No comments:

Post a Comment