I dedicate this recipe to Jerry's brother, Tom. He knows why.
And I'm not telling you. Jeez, can a girl have a little privacy?
This is a very simple and easy salad, that also happens to be very pretty. And could possibly be enjoyed with a margarita. :)
Roasted Red Pepper Salad
3 red peppers, cut in half and seeded
1 small handful basil, chiffonade (fancy way of saying cut into thin, long strips)
1/2 c fresh mozzarella, cubed
2 - 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 - 3 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
1. Place halved red peppers, skin side up, in your broiler. Let the broiler do it's thang for a few minutes until the skins on the peppers are black and charred. Flip and broil a few minutes longer. You won't actually get any color, but I think it helps the peppers to cook through. You can also use your stove top burner by placing the peppers over the flame and charring the outsides.
2. Place peppers in brown paper bag and let sit for 20 - 30 minutes. If you don't have a brown bag, you can also put the peppers in a bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap.
3. Once the 20 - 30 minutes is up, remove skins from peppers. They should come off rather easily.
4. Slice peppers and add all the ingredients, except the cheese, to a bowl. Toss.
5. Once well combined, then add in cheese. I do this just so the cheese doesn't get all turdy looking from the vinegar.
You can eat this just as a salad or use for a topping on a burger or sandwich.