Wednesday, May 25, 2011

$.99 a pound!!!!

My bargain shoppa side got the best of me a few months ago when I was shopping in a local natural foods store by my apartment. In the bulk aisle, they had oat bran for $.99/pound! $.99/pound!!! I can get a whole pound for a dollar!

I filled up my little plastic bag and proudly held it up to Jerry, who looked at it and said "What is that?!"
"It's oat bran." I said with a smile.
"Oh, okay," which is Jerry's usual response when he's confused or deciding if he wants to question/disagree with something. He paused for a moment, "What the hell are you going to do with it?"
"I don't know. It's $.99 a pound!" I said slowly because he was totally missing the point! "I'll figure something out!"

The oat bran has been sitting in my pantry, untouched, for the last 3...ahem...okay, really 6 months. Until now that is! I have noticed on a few of the other blogs I read (yes, I'm a blog dork and so are you, it would seem!) that people have been using it in place of oatmeal. I decided to try it and was pleasantly surprised by the results! It is a bit creamy then usual oatmeal and has less carbs, which means less impact on blood sugar!

Look at that picture!!!!

Creamy Oat Bran for One!

Ingredients
1/3 c. oat bran
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. milk,
1/2 t. cinnamon
Sweeten with honey, sugar or truvia to taste. I personally go for the truvia because of that whole diabetes thing.

Method
1. Combine all ingredients into a small pan over medium high.
2. Stir occasionally until most of the liquid is gone and mixture looks creamy! It shouldn't take more then a few minutes.
3. Top with whatever toppings you like. I usually put peanut butter and fresh fruit on mine.

You can also try this in the microwave. Add all the ingredients together and microwave at 45 second intervals, stirring in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment