Saturday, August 27, 2011

White Girl.

I received this photo message from Jerry the other day.


"Holy crap! What is that eggplant grown with gold?!" was my response to Jerry. Followed with, "However, if it's actually 79 cents, pick me up some!"

I think I may have discussed my love of eggplant before. I have always loved eggplant parmesan, but recently learned that eggplant can go way beyond greasy fried cutlets drowned in tomato sauce and cheese (though that is delicious too!). I have started making burgers, dips, all sorts of things with it. Until the price of eggplant skyrocketed as high as $3.50/pound! What the fuck?!

Thankfully, the price has come down some and my love affair of eggplant can continue. Come here, baby!


I have had this "Indian" inspired eggplant dish in mind for quite some time. I use "Indian" in quotes 1) because I like to be obnoxious with my punctuation marks and 2) really it's just this white girl's attempt at "Indian" by throwing a bunch of spices in a pan and hoping that it resembles something curry-ish. It doesn't usually come out the way I want it to.

For this recipe, I used a kitchen sink approach to it. There were a bunch of things I needed to use up and they ended up in this dish.


Eggplant Chickpea "Curry" - notice the obnoxious quotation marks again!


Ingredients
1 diced onion (red and white mixed)
1 large eggplant
1 medium diced tomato
1 can of diced tomato
1 c. chickpeas
1 tbsp garam masala
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp tumeric
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp minced ginger
salt and pepper, to taste1/2 c plain yogurt (optional)
1 handful of cilantro, chopped

Method
1. Roast eggplant whole at 400 degrees for an hour, turning after 30 minutes. After an hour, let eggplant cool until able to be handled. 
2. Add onion to pan with oil and start to brown. Add garlic and ginger until they become fragrant. 
3. Add fresh tomato to pan. Cool for few minutes. 
4. Cut eggplant in half and scoop out flesh. If you like the skin (the way I do), then you can slice it up and throw in the dish as well. 
5. Add the can of tomatoes and chickpeas. 
6. Add all of the spices. Let simmer for 5 to 10 minutes so flavors can combine. 
7. Take pan off heat. Add yogurt and cilantro to the pan. Cross your fingers and say a little prayer that it taste like curry, then serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment