Sunday, February 26, 2012

Baited Breathe

Are you hanging in suspense? Waiting with baited breath to see what I ate for lunch this week? 

I know you are! Here it goes.

Red Lentil and Pumpkin Dal
5-minute Naan
Tofu Vegetable Pie
Winter Beet Salad
Every once in a while, I'll really crave beets! It is sort of a random thing to crave. I don't know if it's the deep earthy flavors or just the purple poo. It's a toss-up, really. Don't know what I'm talking about? Eat this salad. You'll figure it out. 

I love the combination of beets with fruit too. This salad is similar to my summer salad of beets and grapefruit, only more seasonally appropriate with the use of apple! So simple, but so good!

Winter Beet Salad
4 small beets, peeled
1 large apple
1/2 c red onion, diced
1 handful of parsley
1/4 c walnuts

Lemon-Mustard Dressing
1 tbsp whole grain mustard
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp honey
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 c red wine vinegar
1/4 c olive oil
salt and pepper

Method
1. Peel beets and add them to a steamer. Steam for 15 minutes or until soft. 
2. While beets are cooking, prep the rest of the ingredients (apples, onions, etc.) The parsley leaves are used as salad greens here, so don't chop them up. 
3. Place all the dressing ingredients into a blender. Season to taste. 
4. Allow beets to cool, then slice. 
5. Add all the salad ingredients and toss with dressing to taste. 


1 comment:

  1. I'll bookmark this page and gonna share this to my cousin who's somewhat in a diet right now. Thanks for sharing!

    Buy SWTOR Account

    ReplyDelete