Saturday, February 4, 2012

Callin' a Do Over!

Maybe starting a diet/exercise/meditation challenge on the most difficult two days of my week, followed by Super Bowl Sunday probably wasn't the smartest idea. Needless to say, I haven't done well this week. In fact, I have somehow manage to gain four pounds in the last four days.

It may be cheating. It may not be fair, but I'm calling a "do over" on this whole diet/exercise/meditation challenge. I know that I can kick it off to a much better start then this, which wasn't much of a start at all.

Fear not, I did have one great lunchtime creation! It was all centered on the lovely, delicious sweet potato. I baked 4 or 5 at once, wrapped them in tin foil, and ate them throughout the week.

Now, I initially had great intentions on having a sweet potato with a different set of toppings each day. I was going to take pretty, pretty pictures of these wondrous toppings that would have made you second guess the way you've been enjoying your sweet potatoes. Sadly, I didn't make it past one set of toppings. BUT it's a slammin' set of toppings!

Yessssssssss.



Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Hummus and Garlicky Greens

1 large sweet potato

Homemade Hummus
1 can garbanzo beans
1/3 c tahini
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp water
1/4 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper

Garlicky Greens
1 - 2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 - 2 sprinkles red pepper flakes
1 large head of spinach
salt and pepper

Method
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Use a fork to poke your sweet potato several times. It won't mind. Place on a cookie sheet and bake until soft and tender, 45 to 55 minutes.
2. To make hummus: put all the ingredients in a food processor. Process until smooth or you reach your desired consistency. You can always add more tahini. 
3. To make garlicky greens, heat garlic up in a pan with red pepper flakes. Let garlic brown, but watch careful as not to burn. Add washed spinach leaves, salt and pepper. Cook until spinach is wilted. 
4. To assemble, slice open sweet potato, add desired amount of hummus, and top with greens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment