This recipe has been one that I have been making for our many (really two) picnics. I like it because it's light, easy, and won't make me have to unexpectedly crap my pants because it went bad sitting in the sun too long.
Not that that has ever happened to me. Ahem, Jerry. :)
Beet, Grapefruit and Goat Cheese Salad
4 - 5 medium sized beets or one package of prepared beets (from TJ's)
1 large grapefruit
1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 - 1/3 cup roughly chopped walnuts
1 small log goat cheese
1 small handful chopped fresh parsley
1 - 2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
1. Prepare beets (which is a friggin' pain in the ass!) or remove from package. Quarter beets.
2. Cut bottom and top of grapefruit off so that it sits flat on the counter. With a sharp knife, cut off the peel and pith, but begin careful not to take off too much of the flesh. Remove any left over pith. Then slice into the segments of the grapefruit. (There's videos on youtube for this).
3. Add beets, grapefruit, thinly slice onion, and walnuts to a bowl. Add olive oil, salt and pepper to taste and stir. You could also make a vinegarette with the left over grapefruit juice and mix it in. See recipe below.
4. After the beet mixture is combined, then add the goat cheese and parsley. You don't want to add the goat cheese before tossing because the beet will take over and everything will be hot pink!
Juice of one large grapefruit
1 tsp sweetner of choice
1/4 cup rice wine or white wine vinegar
1 chopped garlic clove
salt and pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
1. Add all ingredients to a blender or small food processor. Blend until well combined and the mixture almost looks creamy.