Thursday, February 9, 2012

Breaking Down

Before starting the Lunchbox Challenge, I had come to a sad realization. Several months ago, you may remember a rather impassioned rant about the importance of eating a organic, locally grown diet. My commitment to that kind of eating has remained strong (which is especially challenging for my cheap gene when strawberries are on sale for 2/$3).

 Now that we're in the full swing of winter and I no longer have my weekly farmer's market fix, I am definitely yearning for my delicious fresh fruits and veggies. In fact, lately, I've wanted nothing more then a good, hearty salad for lunch! The beans and potatoes of winter just aren't exciting enough for me.

The problem...lettuce doesn't grow in snow! Such a desire means I'd have to breakdown, buy produce that is grown in an unnatural environment, sprayed with pesticides and preservatives, and shipped a million miles away to be at my local supermarket. So much for that carbon footprint.

It's actually something I'm really struggling with. I am hoping to find a balance between protecting the earth, supporting local/organic farmers, being excited about my food and satiating my cravings all in the name of good health!

That said, I finally broke down and allowed myself to buy apples again. I was so excited to have my delicious Jonagolds that I actually ate an apple with peanut butter for dinner...and then again for breakfast...and one for snack too! I 'm hoping to avoid what my father refers to as "The Green Apple Quickstep." It's related to the bathroom. You can figure out the rest.



Here's an easy crockpot dessert (or breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack).


Crustless Apple Pie

Ingredients
4 - 5 apples, peeled and sliced
1 tbsp flour
1 tsp lemon juice
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 - 2tsp cinnamon
1/2 - 1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 c rolled oats
1 tbsp butter or vegan margarine

Method
1. Mix the apples with the flour, lemon juice, 1 tbsp brown sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp nutmeg until well coated.
2. Place apples in slower cooker. Mix the rest of the sugar and spices with the rolled oats. Cut in the tbsp of butter and margarine until broken up into pebble size pieces.
3. Spread the oats over the apples mix.
4. Turn slow cooker on low and cook for 2 to 3 hours, or until apples are tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment