Sunday, January 8, 2012

Using it Up

I have a thing for pumpkin. Have you noticed? As soon as the leaves start to change, I want to start eating pumpkin and I don't want to stop until I look like an Ommpa Loompa!

However, most recipes I have that use pumpkin don't usually call for a whole can of pumpkin puree. Unless you're making a shit ton of pies, which generally isn't recommended for fat kid diabetics such as myself. I usually have a half used can of pumpkin kicking around my fridge....and I can only make so much pumpkin bread and pumpkin muffins!

I came across an interesting recipe to use up some of that leftover pumpkin. A Pumpkin Pie Smoothie! Doesn't that sound awesome?!?!

I modified the recipe from the one published on Peas and Thank You. One thing that she recommends you do, which I didn't do for my smoothie, but would want to do if I was a more organized person, is to freeze the pumpkin into ice cube trays. But I guess it depends on how many Pumpkin Pie Smoothies you plan on making yourself.

Notice my pretty NYS Jonagold apples!

Pumpkin Pie Smoothie

Ingredients
3/4 c pumpkin puree
1 c milk
3 - 4 ice cubes
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp garam masala (optional, but good for extra spice)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 - 1 1/2 tsp sweetner of your choice (optional)

Method
1. Put it all in the blender and blend until combined!

Mama Pea garnished her smoothie with crumbled graham crackers. It looks delicious, but probably not worth the extra carbs for me. Maybe worth it for those of you with functional pancreas! Or is it pancreai? Pancreases?

No comments:

Post a Comment