Thursday, January 26, 2012

Impulse Control?

Just to prove my addiction to crap lately....

When I fall in love with a particular recipe, I have a hard time stopping myself from consuming the entire amount of whatever has been prepared. As was (notice the past tense) the case with these Cracked Pepper Cornmeal Biscotti this weekend. I prepared these biscotti, thinking I would serve them as a side to my Chipotle Pumpkin Chili. Let's just say I have a crap load of chili that is sadly missing a cornmeal partner.

This recipe uses prepared cornbread mix, primarily because it was on sale at Trader Joe's. You may be asking yourself "Self, why would I go through the hassle of twice baking cornbread into a biscotti shape when I could easily just throw all of this crap into a pan and bake it?"

Well, first, you lazy little baker, this recipe offers a completely different texture then your usual cornbread. These biscotti are lighter and have a nice crispness to them! Second, it's so much more fancy to say you've made Cornmeal Biscotti then cornbread, honky! Third, and most important of all, because it's awesome!



Cracked Pepper-Cornmeal Biscotti (small batch, which is really all can be prepared in my house at one time)

Ingredients
1 cup packaged cornbread mix (preferred Trader Joe's)
1/4 c grated cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp freshly cracked pepper
1 egg
2 tbsp canola oil
2 tbsp milk

Method
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Mix will be thick and wet.
3. Pour mix onto parchment lined baking sheet. Don't worry too much about spreading it out as it will do it on its own. Plus, you don't want them to thin.
4. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
5. Let cool on a baking sheet for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 300.
6. After 10 minutes, slice cornbread loaf into 1/2 inch slices. Place on baking sheet.
7. Bake on each side for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden on both sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment