Thursday, May 3, 2012

Pain in My....

...knee.
When one goes away for a weekend of beer drinking and overeating, it can only be assumed that a 3 mile run is part of the weekend plan. Oh wait! That's only if you're fucking crazy, like me.

For the last two years, a part of my TAP Fest ritual (in addition to wearing a beer box on my head) is to do a quick run the morning of the festival. It helps me feel better about the gluttony that will occur later on in the day. Except, the only thing is, I hate running!

Okay, okay, maybe hate is a strong word.

In fact, I really, really want to be a runner. I want to be one of those people who run marathons well into their 70's. It's one of those things that I feel like all the cool kids are doing and I'm just sitting on the sidelines. My interest in being a marathon runner only increased when I was diagnosed with diabetes. I wasn't going let some stupid chronic illness hold me back from doing something I had never, ever actually planned on doing before! Yeah, that's right, Diabetes! I'm going to spitefully complete a marathon because of YOU!

Except for the tiny, insignificant detail that I'm just not meant to be a runner. As much as I try. As much as I want it to happen, every time I start a running program, my hips, ankles, knees, and toes (knees and toes....sorry, couldn't help it) start to feel sore. And not in a good "Wow, I'm really working out!" way. They feel sore in a way that makes me feel like long-distance running is not what's best for my body.

This weekend, I started off my run, expecting it to feel awful since it had been a while since my last outdoor run. The first mile actually went pretty well. A 10-minute mile, which for some is a warm-up, but feel me and my short, little legs is pretty good. As I finished the second mile, my knee started to feel a little sore. I figured I'd just run through it. Because that's what makes the most sense when you're in pain, right?  Not to stop and take it easy? No, no, no, but to push through the pain so you can limp back the last half mile and have knee pain for the next week and a half.

Yes, brilliant idea.

Asshole.

No comments:

Post a Comment