Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Granola Muncher

I've had a SERIOUS hankering for granola lately! So much so, I even considered buying a bag of it at Whole Foods.

Granola in hand, on my way to the check-out counter, my "I can make that!" gene kicked into high gear. Why would I waste money on some over-priced granola when I can easily make my own? Lord knows we have enough grains to do!

Then, as if to punctuate the frivolousness of this purchase, I looked down at the nutritional information. Have you ever looked at the ingredients/nutritional information for store-bought granola? Because if you have, you've seen that there is enough sugar to put you into a diabetic shock! Okay, okay, maybe not that much. But there is a shit ton of sugar in most granola!

While it certainly taste delicious (and addicting) it's not exactly as good for you as you'd hope. With the "I can make that!" fever in full effect and my ridiculous craving for granola pushing forward, I decided to make a granola that would put all those other granolas to shame! Cry, Kashi! Cry! 


And I believe I have.



Cinnamon-Almond Granola


Ingredients
2 c rolled oats
1/2 c uncooked millet
1/4 c golden flax seed
1/2 c almonds
1/2 c pumpkin seeds
2 packets truvia
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 c honey
4 tbsp almond butter
3 tbsp apple sauce
1 tsp vanilla extract**

**This granola would be even better if you put any dried fruit of your choice in. I did not because of that whole busted pancreas thing, but you should feel free.

Method
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix ingredients from rolled oats through salt in one bowl. In a second bowl, mix honey through apple sauce (not the extract).
3. Place the bowl of wet ingredients into the microwave for 60 seconds. Add vanilla extract and stir well.
4. Mix wet ingredients and dry ingredients. Mix well to combine.
5. Spread granola out onto a pan lined with parchment paper. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, flipping half way through to ensure even browning. Granola will crisp up as it cools.

No comments:

Post a Comment