Thursday, January 24, 2013

Grab and Go

I'm not sure when it happened, but I have suddenly become an over-sleeper. Never before has this been a problem in my life, but suddenly, at 30, I've decided to act like a 16-year-old avoiding first period gym class by over-sleeping.

Which is fine if you're 16 and offer to bring your gym teacher McDonald's breakfast if he lets you slide (which he would). Bosses, on the other hand, are not so easily swayed by fast food meals. If only it were a perfect world. The excuse "I stupidly turned off my alarm this morning, rolled over and went to sleep for another hour" isn't really one that flies. At least not in my experience.

So, for those mornings when I have visions of hash browns dancing in my head, I created this grab-and-go Orange-Oatmeal Cupcake. They are easy to make ahead, can be stored in the fridge or freezer, and quickly reheat in the microwave should you have time to shower.

Which, amazing, becomes optional when you're an over-sleeper. Score!


Grab & Go Orange Oatmeal Cupcakes

by Bonnie Graham
Keywords: bake breakfast cinnamon oats
Ingredients (12 cakes)
  • 2 1/2 c rolled oats
  • 1/2 c apple sauce
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 6 tsp sugar (or three Truvia packets)
  • zest of 1 large orange
  • 1/3 - 1/2 c honey
  • 2 - 3 tbsp coconut oil
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 egg
  • optional add-ins: chocolate chops, shredded coconut, chopped nuts, ground flax or wheat germ, raisins or other dried fruit, etc.
Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line 12 cupcake tins.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients and stir very well.
3. In a separate bowl, combine all wet ingredients.
4. Mix wet into dry, then pour into the cupcake liners and bake 20 minutes. After the 20 minutes, you can also broil the tops of 2 - 3 minutes.
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment