Tuesday, December 4, 2012

No Soup?

I can remember a time back in high school where I dined at some "fancy" restaurant with a group of friends. I think it was Uno's. After reading the menu, I was so excited to order the Baked Potato Soup. As soon as I saw it, my decision was made. My menu was closed. I waited anxiously for the waitress to come take our order.

Everyone went around the table, ordering their lame burgers and gross deep-dish pizza. When it was my turn, I enthustiacally said "I'll have the Baked Potato Soup please!" The waitress said there was no soup that day. "No soup?" I asked, deflated. The entire table burst into laughter. They equated my reaction to that of a child who just lost their puppy, completely heartbroken. I don't remember what I actually ordered that night, but I do remember that there was no soup!

Needless to say, I have a crazy ridiculous enthusiasm for soup. In fact, I've been told its one of my best qualities! When the weather changes, I probably eat soup every day.

But wait, a diabetic posting a potato soup recipe? That seems unholy! Poor Mr. Potatohead gets a bad rep when it comes to carbohydrates. Potatoes are still vegetables, my friends. And while they may be more carb heavy then say...baby carrots...there is still a place for them (in moderation) for a low-carb diet. 


Creamy Potato-Kale Soup

by Bonnie Graham
Cook Time: 35 - 40 minutes
Keywords: soup/stew potato kale

Ingredients (4 - 6 servings)
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 - 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tsp fresh thyme
  • 4 – 5 medium potatoes, diced - I used Yukon Gold.
  • ½ c white wine
  • 3 ½ c vegetable broth
  • 2 c kale, finely chopped
  • salt and pepper
Instructions
1. Heat oil in a large pot. Add the onion over medium-heat. Stir every minute or so, until soft and lightly golden.
2. Stir in garlic and thyme until fragrant, about a minute or two.
3. Add chopped potatoes and sauté for a few minutes.
4. Add the white wine and deglaze, making sure to scrap all the brown bits from the bottom of the pot.
5. Add veggie broth. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to simmer for about 20min.
6. Stir in chopped kale, desired amount of salt and pepper if needed, and simmer for 10min.
7. Remove from heat. Using an immersion blender, puree your soup to desired consistency.
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment