Now, I am sure the idea of Tofu Nuggets sounds like something offered to you by a middle-aged white woman with dreadlocks, wearing a tie-dyed t-shirt who reeks of reefer smoke at a hippie commune. Which actually sounds kind of awesome to me!
Regardless of your judgements on clothing made out of hemp, these nuggets are a delicious and easy snack that can be dipped in tomato sauce, ketchup, and my personal favorite, BBQ sauce! Truth be told, I love anything that can be used as a vehicle to get any kind of sauce into my face.
Whatever you're preconceived notions of tofu are, you should try this recipe. You'll be ordering your Birkenstocks and googling recipes for pot brownies in no time.
Crispy Tofu Nuggets
Keywords: bake snack tofu
Ingredients (8 - 12 nuggets, depending on y)
- 1 package firm or extra firm tofu (I used Trader Joe's High Protein)
- 1 egg, scrambled
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke (optional)
- 1/3 c cornmeal
- 1/2 c seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/2 t smoked paprika
- 1/2 t oregano
- 1/2 t chili powder
- scant 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- BBQ sauce, ketchup, tomato sauce, or sauce of your choosing
1. Place tofu on a couple kitchen towels (I use paper) on the counter. Wrap the tofu with more towels and set several heavy cookbooks on top. Let sit for at least 20 minutes to soak out the water.
2. Mix together egg, water, and liquid smoke in a bowl. In another bowl, mix together the cornmeal, breadcrumbs, salt, and spices. Set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 400F and grease baking sheets.
4. Slice tofu into 8-9 strips, lengthwise, depending on how thick you want it.
5. Dip the tofu strips into the egg mixture and then into the cornmeal/breadcrumb mixture. Coat both sides entirely and then place on baking sheet.
6. Bake tofu for 20 minutes, then flip and bake for another 15-20 minutes until crispy.
Powered by Recipage