Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Love/Hate

I have a love/hate relationship with bread. I love it. It hates me.

Forget that it makes my blood sugar skyrocket. The real problem is that I want to make it. It does not want to be made by me. Every (yeast) bread I make falls flat. Literally. They never rise!

Maybe I should take it as a sign. Maybe it's the universe trying to tell me something. Maybe it's because Jerry didn't let me pick that used breadmaker up off the sidewalk that would have forever changed my bread-making ability. I just have not been able to make a good, solid yeast bread that we could use for everyday sandwiches instead of breadcrumbs (since my breads are usually a messy crumble).

Until now....

Breadmaker, schreadmaker. I've gots my crockpot, yo! Yes, my crockpot. It has helped me produce some damn good bread without even turning on my oven!

And Jerry wanted to get a breadmaker. Pssssh.


Whole Wheat Crockpot Bread

by Bonnie Graham
Cook Time: 3 hours
Keywords: slow-cooker bread

Ingredients (1 loaf)
  • 1 c warm milk
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 package active dry yeast
  • 1 tsp vital wheat gluten (optional)
  • 1 1/2 c whole wheat flour, divided
  • 1/3 to 1/2 c all-purpose flour
Instructions
1. Grease a loaf pan or other baking pan that will fit inside your crock-pot.
2. Combine milk, oil, honey, salt, yeast, dough enhancer, 3/4 cups wheat flour and 1/3 cup all-purpose flour. With a handheld mixer, mix at medium low speed for 2 minutes.
3. Gradually add remaining wheat flour. Mix until completely combined. Unlike other bread recipes, dough should remain sticky.
4. Pour dough into greased baking vessel. Place into crock-pot and cook on high for three hours.
5. For a more browned top, put the bread loaf under the broiler for 1 to 2 minutes or until desired brownness is acquired.
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment