Friday, December 21, 2012

Cookie Exchange

There's something just wrong with the concept of a cookie exchange and being diabetic. Not only does it require me to make my own batch of cookie, but then I need to sample everyone elses' cookies too!

Oh dear insulin pump, how overworked you must be!

A cookie exchange was agreed upon at my office for this holiday season. Which sounds like fun. If you have a functioning pancreas. Otherwise, it sounds like High Blood Sugar City!

Shockingly, I struggled with finding an appropriate cookie recipe. It's shocking because just about everywhere you look there is a friggin' cookie recipe. Let me clarify. I struggled with finding an appropriate diabetic cookie recipe. You know, one that actually would still be appetizing to my co-workers and not just to my blood glucose meter. One that I wouldn't have to empty my insulin pump in order to eat. That kind of cookie.

After scroll through recipes that used cups of sugar, sticks of butter, or the ever unpleasant alternative of Splenda, I said fuck it and just picked a recipe.

But, of course, it can't be that easy. It's never that easy. I started with one cookie recipe, Fudgey Nutella Cookies with Sea Salt. They turned into flat little pancakes. Not good. The next recipe was Almond Florentine Cookies, which didn't initially look promising; however, they turned out to be quite good. BUT there wasn't enough of them the cookie exchange. Recipe can be found here.


I panicked and finally whipped up these bad boys, Chai-Spiced Eggnog Cookies.


Now, I totally have a Sugar Hangover.


Chai-spiced Eggnog Cookies

by Bonnie Graham
Keywords: bake dessert cinnamon coconut oil cookie winter

Ingredients (24 cookies)
  • 1/3 c coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 tsp ground ginger (optional)
  • 3/4 tsp ground cloves
  • 1 tsp ground cardamom
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 c eggnog, plus 1 - 2 tbsp (depending on consistency)
  • 1/2 c powdered sugar, sifted
Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Mix oil with sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl until well blended. 3. Stir in flour, spices and salt until just combined.
4. Add in eggnog and mix until combined, having the dough be slightly sticky.
5. Scoop and roll dough into small teaspoon-sized balls and place about an inch apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
6. Bake until lightly golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
7. Cool on the sheet for 5 minutes. Roll warm cookies in powdered sugar and let cool completely on a rack.
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment