But not I. I can't go more then a few days without cooking! When we had finally given up on preserving what was left of our freezer goods, I got to cooking. Thankfully, our stove top is gas! Probably the only time I've been truly grateful for gas in our apartment. That was a Jerry/flatulence joke in case you didn't get it.
To reward us for not going completely insane without power or real running water for three days, I made us as delicious a dessert as one can make in the pitch black. Nothing like cooking by camp latern!
Black-Out Berry-Peach Dumplings
Keywords: dessert berries peaches cinnamon
- 1 bag of mixed frozen berries, de-frosted
- 1/2 bag frozen peaches, de-frosted
- 3/4 c whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 c rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 c sweetner (or more depending on your taste)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 c milk or water plus 1 - 2 more tbsp depending on consistency
1. Add your berries and peaches to a skillet over medium-high heat. Allow to come to a low simmer.
2. Meanwhile, add all dry ingreidents to a bowl and mix well.
3. Slowly add in liquid, mixing as you go. The amount of liquid added will depend on the dough consistency. You want to be able to form the dough into dumplings, but they shouldn't be stiff.
4. Once the berry/peach mix has started to bubble, form your dumplings using a spoon on drop on top of the berry mix. Cover pan with a lid.
5. Lower to medium-low heat to allow the dumplings to cook.
6. Allow to cook 15 - 18 minutes or until the dumplings are firmed up.
7. Serve and enjoy!
Powered by Recipage