Thursday, November 8, 2012

Dirty Veggies, Part 13

Dedication. That is what I have to the farmer's market.

Despite the freezing temperatures and swirling snowflakes, I (proudly) made my way through the market yesterday. There was part of me that wasn't going to go. It was too cold. Too rainy. Too snowy. But then I thought those vendors who drive down (or up) from their farms to set up shop in weather that is too cold, too rainy, and too snowy. I figured if they could do it all day long, I could do it for the 15 minutes it takes for me to park, shop, and leave.

I am also in storage mode since winter has made its early arrival and feel I need to take of advantage of the last few weeks of the market that I can! Which also, of course, means that I have bought an abundance of squash again this week! Which also means that there will be a squash recipe at the end of this post. Yay!

This week's round-up:
1 spaghetti squash - $2.35
1 butternut squash - $1.45
1 1/4 lbs Brussels sprouts - $2.45
5 large parsnips - $2.25
1 large head of kale - $2.25
5 onions - $1.50
1 head of garlic - $1.25
Total: $13.50

Onwards to the recipe!

I am always looking for new ways to use spaghetti squash. It's fine plain with butter and cheese. Better with tomato sauce. But I was really trying to think of something even more creative then the usu. That's when I thought of Spaghetti Squash Gratin! It was actually quite good. And low carb!

Until Hurricane Sandy came and I had to let it go to waste. Or force myself to eat 2 pounds of squash gratin! It was good, but it wasn't that good.


Sage-Infused Spaghetti Squash Gratin

by Bonnie Graham
Cook Time: 1 1/2 hours including roasting
Keywords: bake vegetarian low-carb spaghetti squash sage

Ingredients (6 - 8 servings)
  • 1 large spaghetti squash, roasted
  • 1 c milk
  • 2 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
  • 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 1 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
  • 3 - 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan
  • 1 to 2 anchovy fillets, chopped
  • 4 - 5 chopped fresh sage leaves
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1/2 c almond meal mixed with 1/4 c nutritional yeast (or use bread crumbs)
Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut squash in half and place face down on a cookie sheet. Roast for 40 - 45 minutes or when squash is soft. Let cool. Reduce heat to 350 degrees.
2. In a small sauce pan over medium heat, whisk milk, butter, cheese, anchovies, and sage until combined and anchovies are brown up.
3. Shred spaghetti squash with a fork. Add to a greased 2-quart baking dish.
4. Pour milk mixture of the squash and mix to combine.
5. Top gratin with almond meal mix or breadcrumbs.
6. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. You can also place gratin under the broiler for a few minutes to brown up the top.
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment