Here was the Squash Countdown:
1 gigantic butternut squash
1 spaghetti squash
3 acorn squash
1 patty pan squash
That's six squash in total! Six squash! All locally grown. Never mind the 5 cans of pumpkin I have sitting in the pantry (which is also squash). Ironically, despite having an abundance of squash, I kept waiting for the perfect squash recipe to come along. To be inspired to make something different then the usual.
By the way, I've already used the word "squash" 15 times so far in this post. Make that 16 times.
Finally, I had to give in and just cook something. This soup is a variation on the usual seasonal butternut squash soup. And it's gooooood.
|Garnish with spiced pumpkin seeds for some crunch|
Spiced Butternut-Apple Soup
Keywords: blender soup/stew vegetarian butternut squash apples carrots
Ingredients (8 cups)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger, grated (2 tablespoons)
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh sage
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cardamom
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 tart apple, peeled, quartered, and chopped
- 4 c chopped butternut squash
- Coarse salt and pepper
1. Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
2. Add ginger, sage, cinnamon, and cardamom and cook until fragrant.
3. Add carrots, apple, squash, and 3 cups water. Bring to a boil; cover partially and reduce to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Let cool slightly.
5. Working in batches, puree until smooth in a blender. Adjust seasoning, if necessary.
Powered by Recipage