Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Dirty Veggies, Part 6

I needed to go over budget at today's farmer's market.

No, really. I did.

And it wasn't one of those "I need as many golden beets and heads of red lettuce that I can squeeze into my eco-friendly shopping bag" kind of need. No, it was a "I have to feed 8 people a deliciously large, locally grown salad for lunch tomorrow...oh and dessert too" need.

My team at work are a bunch of fat kids. We love to get our eat on and try to work it into every single meeting we have. Potlucks are a frequent occurrence. And I love it.

For this week's potluck lunch, I wanted to re-create a salad from one of my favorite natural food blogs, 101 Cookbooks. The appeal of this salad was that it uses ingredients that I see every week at the farmer's market. Hence the reason for going over budget.

Notice my little wooden piggy in the background. 
This week's roundup:
6 avocados - $3.75*
2 zucchini - $2.00
1 gigantic head of kale - $2.00
1 bunch carrots - $1.75
1 bunch celery - $2.00
6 white peaches - $2.50
Total: $14.00

Recipe to follow.

*Okay, okay, I know these aren't locally grown, but if I can help a small farm stand help make a buck when it supplements its usual produce with some imports, then fine. At least that's how I justify it in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment