Friday, August 17, 2012

Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia

As in the Chia Pet. Remember those?


The new-fangled, health craze these days are the same seeds you use to smear onto a clay-shaped cow and waited to sprout "hair." They're now suggesting you eat those things!! Crazy kids these days. 

I have, of course, jumped onto the chia seed bandwagon and started to eat what had once been a brown substance smeared onto a planter. In all honesty, it wasn't my favorite ingredient. It's one of those things I could toss into my smoothie or oatmeal and not even notice it's there.

Wanting to do more with my expensive chia seed besides disguise it, I was excited to find a recipe using them in pudding! 

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this, but I have a thing for pudding. The same kind of thing I have for sauce, dips, soups, vegetables, farmer's markets, and pretty much anything else I can put in my mouth. Wait...I mean that I can swallow....Jerry's getting happier by the minute. You know what I mean!

The great thing about this pudding is that it can be made in an instant with all natural ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. Chia seeds have this gelling quality that allows the pudding to thicken. In fact, this recipe is so easy, I've already made it twice this week! Plus, it's pretty good on my sugar!

Jerry even tried to talk me into making it twice in one night. He almost had me convinced. 


Chocolate Chia Pudding

by Bonnie Graham
Keywords: blender dessert snack vegetarian chia seeds






Ingredients (3 servings)
  • 1 c milk of your choice (I do find almond milk to set up quicker)
  • 3 packets Truvia (or 6 tsp sugar)
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 3 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1/8 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp chocolate chips (optional)
Instructions
1. In a blender, add milk, sugar, chia seeds, cocoa, salt, and vanilla.
2. Blend for a minute or more, until the seeds are fully pulverized. I use the grinder blade on my Magic Bullet.
3. Transfer to dishes. Stir in chocolate chips, and refrigerate until chilled, about 1/2 hour or more.
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment