Friday, June 15, 2012

Dirt Eater

I love when there's dirt still on my vegetables! It excites me to think that it was not so long ago that they were in the ground at someone's family farm. It reminds me of where my food comes from, the people who grow it, and the health/environmental/financial benefits of shopping at my local farmer's market.

With the market in full swing, I have made it my mission to attend the White Plains Farmer's Market every Wednesday. This market is small, but convenient to my job and has some good deals on dirty but awesome produce. Just wait until garlic is back in season! Oh. My. Lord. So good.

I usually leave the market with a big, fat bag of produce and delicious lunch/dinner ideas swirling around my head. However, once that bag of produce enters my apartment, it is in danger zone, fighting to get out of the abyss that is my vegetable drawer!

Thank goodness that my obsession with the farmer's market also happens to coincide with my obsession for all things salad. Almost every single veggie in the recipe was grown in the Tri-state area and Pennsylvania.

Maybe now you'll let me forget that whole banana thing?

Farmer's Market Salad

by Bonnie Graham

Keywords: salad low-carb salmon

Ingredients (Enough for two large salads)

  • 2 salmon fillets, preferred size
Marinade ingredients:
  • 1 tbsp liquid smoke
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • salt and pepper
Salad ingredients:
  • 1 head red lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
  • 1 ripe tomato
  • 1 bunch radishes, halved and roasted (recipe to come)
  • 1 bunch baby carrots or 2 - 3 regular carrots, halved and roasted
  • 6 - 7 strawberries, sliced
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar

Instructions

1. Place salmon in a ziplock bag with all of the marinade ingredients. Let sit for at least 20 minutes or several hours.

2. Prepare all of your veggies and add whatever ones you like/have on hand.

3. Cook your salmon over medium high heat, skin-side down, until desired doneness is reached. You should try to get a crispy bottom. It may help to put a lid on the pan to help the fish cook all the way through.

4. Dress your salad with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, or a dressing of your choice.

Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment