Monday, October 3, 2011

Summer Meets Fall

Some people shoe shop. Others clothes shop. I food shop! I love to go food shopping, but my eyes are bigger then my actual time to cook. I have this notorious habit of letting produce go bad in my fridge. It usually results in swampy puddles at the bottom of my veggie drawer.

That's usually when kitchen sink cooking comes into play. I try to hurry up and cook all the usable produce in my fridge, in one pot if I'm feeling particularly talented...or adventurous. Sometimes it works. Sometimes, it really doesn't. The broccoli rabe and cilantro soup wasn't exactly a shining moment of cooking for me. However, this recipe worked out quite well. In fact, they came out so good, Jackson decided to help himself to one while I as at the gym. Naughty kitty.

I needed to use the rest of my farmer's market zucchini before it made soup in the bottom of my fridge. Plus, I had some newly purchased sweet potatoes from Goshen, NY.  I'd like to think of this recipe as the seasons (summer squash, fall sweet potatoes) colliding. Isn't that very Martha Stewart of me?



Zucchini-Sweet Potato Muffins

Ingredients
2 c whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 c brown sugar (you can definitely add more sugar, but I don't because of the obvious....)
1/2 c apple sauce
1 tbsp canola oil
1/3 c milk
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 c shredded zucchini
1 c shredded sweet potato

Method
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Shred the zucchini and sweet potato on a box grater.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients together, making sure there are no lumps of flour, etc.
3. Add all the wet ingredients with the exception of shredded veggies.
4. Once all the wet ingredients are mixed, then add the shredded veggies, making sure to incorporate them throughout.
5. Add batter to a greased muffin pan.
6. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until lightly golden and spring back at the touch.

1 comment:

  1. Those look really good. I love baked goods with zucchini but the addition of sweet potato I've never thought of. I may need to try this out.

    ReplyDelete