Sunday, April 15, 2012

Hi Hater!

Yes. 'Tis true. I am a hater. Of many things. But for the purpose of time (and this blog's word limit), the focus of this post on diabetes blogs.

I know. I know. How can I possibly hate diabetes blogs seeing as how I have one and all? I'm just a dick like that. It's why Jackson and I get along so well.

Actually, it all started when I was first diagnosed with diabetes. Scouring the Internet for information led me across many amusing, interesting articles and blogs (read crazy cat lady post), but mostly what I found overwhelmed me and ultimately led to tears. I was still struggling with accepting this new life and each post I read made me more aware of things that I just wasn't quite ready to hear.

Over time, I have come to accept diabetes and are better able to hear those things that so quickly would have moved me to sobs a year and half ago. For example, when I was first diagnosed, I stumbled on the popular diabetes blog of Sixuntilme.com. Reading through Kerri's posts, I came across one about her insulin pump and her wedding day. She wrote about having a special pocket sewn into her wedding dress so that she could wear her pump, unnoticed.

I read this now and think "Wow, what a great idea!"

The Bonnie who read that a year and half ago burst into tears because she hadn't considered the ways diabetes would affect the special occasions in her life, like her wedding day. When that Bonnie got to the posts about Kerri's pregnancy....forget it. She had to close the laptop, unplug it, and leave the room. It was just too upsetting.

Now, I'm finding reading other diabetics' blogs much more enjoyable. There are still some experiences that I haven't yet had and make me nervous to read about (like hospitalizing lows and premature health complications). There are other times, when reading a similar experience, helps to calm me. It's nice to know that other people get burnt out by diabetes, have high blood sugars,  splurge on their diets and use their diabetes to get out of work early!

Maybe I'm not so much of hater after all. Just don't get me started on Lady Gaga. 

No comments:

Post a Comment