Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Diabetic Cereal

Growing up, we were never allowed to have sugar cereals. Frosted Flakes were as wild as it got in our house (and that was mostly reserved for my mother). I envied all my friends whose parents would let them go hog-wild on a box of Cookie Crisp. I would sneak upstairs to my best friend's apartment and eat bowl after bowl of Fruity Pebbles, Trix, and Cocoa Puffs. Are you wondering how diabetes took so long?

As I aged, my taste matured and looked towards to the more refind breakfast cereals, such as Honey Bunches of Oats and the cereal with the squirrel in the commerical. You know what I'm talking about! Eventually realizing those boxes of cereal have just as much sugar as a candy bar, I started to explore more wholesome cereals, like Puffins and Kashi Honey Sunshine (uuuuuhhhh, so good!).

Suddenly, all this cereal joyfulness ended! It's been a sad, sad time.

Delicious, processed cereal and my blood sugar just do not mix! I can guarantee, no matter how carefully I measure out the cereal, how reserved I am with the milk, almost 100% of the time, without a doubt, I will end up with a blood sugar in the 200's. It can't be helped.

Not worth the stress and hassle of battling a high, I had foresaken cereal (besides sneaking the occasional bite out of Jerry's bowl when he's not looking)! Until now, that is! I have come up with a reasonable cereal substitute that hasn't caused any issues with my blood sugar.

I'm going to go ahead and take all the credit for this creation. You might refer to it as muesli, which obviously has already been created. But you see, muesli is something my grandmother use to eat to keep herself regular. It's the food of old people. I am not an old person!

I am a hip, young diabetic just trying to get her breakfast on!
It's really not the same.



Oat Cereal with Mixed Nuts and Berries
This is a good base for any cereal mix. You can certianly add any preferred nut, dried and fresh fruits.

Ingredients
2/3 cup oats
1/3 cup golden, roasted flax seeds
1/3 cup sunflower seeds
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
1/2 cup almonds, roughly chopped
2 tbsp wheatgerm

1/3 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, dethawed
1/4 cup milk

Method
1. Toast oats until lightly browned. Watch closely as they can burn quickly. You can also toast up your nuts if you so desire.
2. Put all the ingredients into a Tupperware container and mix 'em up.
3. Place half a cup in a bowl. Add skim milk and seasonal fruit. Enjoy!

If you'd like the oats a little softer, you can add the milk and let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes or even overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment