Sunday, April 22, 2012

Countdown

We're in the final weeks now before my move-in with Jerry. By May 12th, I will be an official fist-pumper, livin' in Jersey. Maybe Snookie and I will become friends. I give complete permission for anyone who reads this blog to punch me in the face if I say that again!

While I'm excited to start the next chapter of my life, it is bittersweet. I love living in Astoria. I'm definitely it's number one fan! I sometimes have to remind myself that Astoria won't cease to exist once I've crossed state lines. I can always come back to visit my old favorites. Plus, with the roomie staying in our apartment, I will have a permanent crash pad whenever I need it.

What better way to say good-bye and pay homage to my favorite place in Queens then to have a party! We also just like to throw parties.

Of course, it wouldn't be party without food. I have to say that this was probably my easiest party menu with being able to prepare so many things ahead of time. I've put asterisks by all the things that could be made the day before.

Here's my Greek inspired menu.

Ode to Astoria Menu

Dips
Hummus - Regular and Chipotle Pepper* 
Baba Ghanoush*
Tzaztiki*
Tabbouli*
Mains
Mini Spanikopita*
Greek Salad on a Stick
Lemon Fingerling Potatoes
Desserts
Bakalava Cups*
Mini Greek Yogurt Parfaits*
* Can be made the day before

Now for one of the recipes.....



Greek Salad on a Stick

Ingredients

"Greek Salad" 
1 seedless cucumber, sliced
grape or cherry tomatoes - as many as you'll need for skewers; I used Campari tomatoes
1/4 lb feta, cut into cubes
kalamata olives - as many as you'll need for skewers
skewers

Red Wine Vinaigrette
4 tbsp red wine vinegar
4 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp oregano
salt and pepper to taste

Method
1. Skew your "salad" ingredients, starting with the olive. Then, add the feta, tomato, and cucumber.
2. Mix together all of your vinaigrette ingredients.
3. Dress skewers with vinaigrette simply by evenly pouring it over the sticks. 

And done! How easy is that?!


No comments:

Post a Comment