Saturday, September 8, 2012

Something I Did Miss

I'm not sure if I mention this, but I am in love with Spain. Did you notice?

Many of my friends and families were convinced that I wasn't ever coming home. Trust me, it was definitely a consideration. 

Despite all the wonderful and glorious food of Spain, one thing we did really miss was vegetables! As you might have seen from my pictures, there was a lot of seafood eating going on. And figs. Did I mention the figs? How amazing they were? How I will never be able to eat another fig ever again unless I'm in Barcelona? And the peppers. Oh my god, the peppers! Let's not get me started on that. 

However, Spain isn't exactly a vegetarian-friendly culture. The one time we tried to order a vegetable sandwich, it came with ham on it! 

While we were prepared to eat meat this trip, Jerry and I are practically vegetarian eaters with a variety of vegetables usually being the main focus of our meals. When we got home, Jerry announced that he only wanted to eat vegetables. Nothing else. No grains. No protein. Just straight up veggies. He didn't even want seasoning. Jerry? Not want seasoning? This is the guy who would sprinkle curry powder into our oatmeal if I let him.

Our first night home, we roasted up about 5 pounds (not even being sarcastic) of vegetables, including broccoli, carrots, parsnips, butternut squash, mushrooms, and onions. With spices. By our second night home, I wanted something a little bit more developed that just a massive bowl of roasted veggies, no matter how delicious.

So, what did I do? I created a massive bowl of sauteed veggies! Soooooo different, right?

But this time....I topped it with an egg! Booyah!


Dish inspired by my friend, Carrie

Warm Summer Vegetable Slaw

by Bonnie Graham
Cook Time: 20 to 25 minutes
Keywords: saute entree side vegetarian low-carb eggs carrots zucchini

Ingredients (2 - 3 large servings)
  • 1 - 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
  • 1/2 large red onion, sliced
  • 1 medium to large zucchini, shredded
  • 2 large carrots, shredded
  • 1 ear of corn, kernels removed
  • 1 tsp fennel seeds
  • 2 tsp oregano
  • 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • salt and pepper
  • olive oil
  • 1 egg for each serving
  • Optional: grated Parmesan cheese
Instructions
1. Saute garlic and onions in olive oil while you use your food processor or mandolin to shred the zucchini and carrots.
2. Add shredded veggies as you go until all are added in.
3. Add in all your spice and saute until veggies start to soften. Let cook, tossing every few minutes or so.
4. Meanwhile, take the kernels off your corn cob and reserve to the side.
5. Heat a pan and prepare your fried eggs.
6. Once veggies are sufficiently soften (carrots are tender), plate up, adding the raw corn kernels in at the end. Top with an egg.
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment