Monday, September 24, 2012

Breaking the Seal

I know I just wrote a post about grasping onto every last bit of summer. And how I try to avoid accepting the autumn season for as long as I can.

But I've already done it. I broke the seal. The pumpkin seal. I have already opened my first can of pumpkin. Okay, fine, my first two cans of pumpkin!

I didn't mean to. It just sort of....happened. Before I knew what I was doing, I had opened a can and added it to oatmeal. Then, when I saw a recipe for Pumpkin Pie Chia Pudding....well, let's just say I had no choice. It couldn't have been avoided any longer!

And since we're being all honest with each other, I have another pumpkin confession to make. This is a bad one too. 

Last week, I suddenly came down with a stomach virus. Initially, I thought I had just woke up with an upset stomach, assumed it would pass, and continued getting ready for my day. Since seeing the recipe the day before, all I could think of making was Pumpkin Pie Chia Pudding! I mix it up and put it in the fridge to chill, only for the full force of the stomach virus to hit me several minutes later.

When I was finally able to leave the bathroom, I decided to try a bite. It was good. It was so good, I had another bite, and another bite. Before I knew it, I had eaten half of the pudding! I kept thinking, "I have to save same for Jerry. I have to save some for Jerry."

But then the lawyer (or fat kid, take your pick) in me kicked in, "Will he really eat this knowing that I made it while I was sick? Probably not. And it would be unfair to him to have it in the fridge and him not be able to eat it. I should just eat the whole thing and poor Jerry won't have to suffer that torment."

Which is exactly what happened. I finished the entire bowl of pudding!

Slightly disgusted, partially embarrassed, I rinsed the dishes, put them in the dishwasher, and no one was the wiser. I'd like to think that karma came back around as I spent the next hour in the bathroom, not enjoying my Pumpkin Pie Chia Pudding.

Now, who wants some pudding?!?

Pumpkin just doesn't photograph well.

Pumpkin Pie Chia Pudding

by Bonnie Graham
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Keywords: food processor dessert snack chia seeds pumpkin fall




Ingredients (4 servings)
  • 3/4 c milk
  • 1 c canned pumpkin, chilled if possible
  • 3 tbsp chia seeds, ground into a powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 heaping tsp cinnamon, or more to taste
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp clove
  • 2 tsp sucunat or sweetener of your choice
Instructions
1. Ground your chia seeds into a medium fine powder. Set aside.
2. In a food processor or blender, combine milk, pumpkin, vanilla, sweetener, and spices. Blend well to combine. Scrape down sides.
3. With processor running, slowly pour in chia seed powder. This is to help the chia seeds be more evenly distributed in your pudding and so you don't end up with blogs of chia stuck together. Scrape down sides and process for 30 seconds longer.
4. Pour pudding into preferred container. Let set in the fridge for 1 to 2 hours before enjoying!
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment