Saturday, November 26, 2011

Soul Mates

After you made my Pumpkin Cupcakes, did you save the remaining vanilla cake mix because you were too cheap to just throw it out knowing that eventually you'll come up with some recipe for it? Has it been sitting in your pantry all this time, staring you in the face, taunting you because you have no idea what you can do with it?

Really?! Me too!!!! We must be soul mates!

Well, Soul mate, I'm here to offer you a solution for that douchey cake mix, Spiced Mini Bundt Cakes. This recipe was inspired, not only by that taunting Betty Crocker box, but the mini bundt cake pans I recently came across in my kitchen. I forget all the cool/cute cooking and baking stuff I have!

Some of you might be thinking, "She bakes an awful lot for a diabetic!"

Well, first, I'd tell you to shut your pie hole, Diabetes Police! Being a type 1 diabetic doesn't necessarily preclude me from enjoying any particular food. It just means that I have to take insulin for it. Second, I usually dramatically reduce the amount of sugar in most of my baked good recipes. Lastly, I live my life by the principle of "moderation" (except for when it comes to Dirty Pickle Martinis and tequila shots, ugh). When I make baked goods, I'm either eating them in very small portions over a series of days or bringing them to someone else's house to get high blood sugar on!


I'm a considerate diabetic like that. 






Spiced Mini Bundt Cakes 
Makes 3 mini cakes
You could also add a drizzle of royal icing to help spruce them up!


Ingredients
1 cup vanilla cake mix
2 tbsp apple sauce
1 egg
2 heaping tsps pumpkin pie spice (might as well use it up, right?)
1/2 tsp nutmeg (for some extra spice)
1/4 c milk

Method
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl. Using an electric beater, combine all ingredients until smooth.
3. Pour into prepared mini bundt cake pans or a cupcake pan.
4. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment