Monday, July 1, 2013

Breakfast Fiend

From reading this blog, it might seem like all I do is eat breakfast. In fact, I have to stop myself on a regular basis from posting yet another breakfast recipe.

Truth be told, breakfast is probably my favorite meal of the day. Besides snacks. Because snacks are a meal in my book. But it is also one of the most challenging as far as diabetes management goes. Mostly because everything is a carb. Well, everything worth eating. Bagels, muffins, pancakes, waffles, granola, toast, french toast, crepes.....you see my point. Even eggs, which are my stand-by meal no matter what time of day, are usually best served with a side of lightly toasted, buttered bread. Am I right or am I right?

Well, this post offers no solution. In fact, it contributes to the problem.

Some of my lovely friends who know me so very well gave me the wondrous house-warming gift of a waffle maker! After my Should-Have-Been-Carrot-Cake-Waffles debacle, they made sure I never went waffleless again!

Which is awesome. Waffles everyday! Except for that whole broken pancreas, diabetes thing. Waffles every day is definitely NOT part of a low carb diet. I checked with my doctor. Just in case.

Instead of waffles every day, I've been saving them for when I've been especially good....or felt like climbing up on top of my counter to fetch waffle maker from the highest shelf I could have ever possibly put it on!

My contribution to the carby breakfast conundrum....Spicy Chai Waffles. If these are wrong, I don't want to be right!

Spicy Chai Waffles

by Bonnie Graham
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: As long as it takes your waffle maker!
Keywords: breakfast
Ingredients (4 waffles)
  • 1 1/4 c whole wheat pastry flour (though any flour will work)
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp powdered ginger
  • 1/4 tsp cardamom
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • sweetener of choice based on your preferences (start with 1/3 c)
  • 2/3 c milk, plus 1 - 2 extra tbsp depending on consistency
  • 1 tbsp oil or another splash of milk
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
Instructions
1. Combine all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, and stir well.
2. Turn on and grease your waffle maker with oil or oil spray (be sure to grease well if using the oil-free version), then let it preheat.
3. Pour wet ingredients into dry, and stir to make a batter.
4. When the iron is hot, pour quarter of the batter into the center of the iron, and close the lid. My waffle maker tells me when the waffles are done. If yours does not, then give it 2 - 3 minutes and then check on doneness.
5. When waffles are done, pile on your favorite toppings and syrup!
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment