In seems as though, at some point every summer, people turn into Marie and Frank Romano over their zucchini. I notice the prices on the zucchini get cheaper and cheaper as the summer gets on. Except no one is buying....because zucchini has taken over their gardens or their friends' gardens or their friends' friends' gardens and people can't seem to give it away fast enough. It can become so unweilding, that may parents decided to skip the whole zucchini craze in their garden this season.
Which I am sad about. Because I happen to love zucchini!
It also so happens that the only way people ever think of using zucchini is in a baked goods. Zucchini Bread. Zucchini Muffins. Not so good for the diabetic.
Instead of producing muffin tray after muffin tray (which you know I'm totally down with too), I've started to use shredded zucchini as the main base for many of my salads. This has become my new favorite salad, complete with Pickled Red Onions (recipe to come)!
Shredded Zucchini & Kale Salad
Keywords: raw salad avocado beans kale zucchini summer
Ingredients (1 large lunchtime salad)
- 3/4 - 1 c shredded zucchini
- 1 cup shredded Tuscan Kale
- 2 medium-sized carrots, sliced
- 1 ear of corn, kernels removed from the cob (you can use leftovers!)
- 1/2 c garbanzo beans
- 1/4 - 1/2 cubed avocado (depending on your preferences)
- 1 - 2 spoonfuls of Pickled Red Onions (recipe to come), or raw red onions
- 1/3 c rice wine vinegar
- 1/3 c olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- zest of half the lemon
- 1 large handful of basil
- 1 garlic clove
- water if needed for consistency
1. Add all chopped veggies into a bowl.
2. Combine all salad dressing ingredients in a food processor or mini-blender, adding water if you prefer a thinner dressing.
3. Add dressing to salad, toss, and eat!
Powered by Recipage