Sunday, February 10, 2013

Snack Pack

Isn't there something about smelling other people's delicious food that makes you want to eat EXACTLY what they're eating IMMEDIATELY?!

This has become a regular experience for me in the last few months. My yoga teacher training happens to take place above a Panera Bread and Starbucks. While normally I bring my own food, there is something about watching other people drink their lattes and eat their soup out of a bread bowls that I can't resist!

One item that I have been a frequent consumer of is Starbucks' Protein Bistro Box. This box contains
a hard boiled egg, cheddar cheese, honey peanut butter spread, multi grain bread, apples and grapes. Sounds like just the thing a diabetic needs when doing 6 straight hours of yoga, right? 

Starbucks' Protein Bistro Box
Except it costs seven dollars. Seven dollars?! Yes, seven dollars! For essentially something I can make myself for 50 cents. Okay, maybe not 50 cents, but definitely for significant less then $7.

Challenge......accepted!

Here is my version of the Protein Bistro Box.
Isn't it cute?
My version of the Protein Bistro Box contains:
1 Jonagold apple - $.65
1 hard-boiled egg - $.25
1/4 c roasted peanuts - $.25 (though I could just as easily put in a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter)
2 slices of 2% milk cheddar cheese - ~$.75
1 Grab & Go Orange Oatmeal Cupcake - ~ $.75

For a whopping grand total of $2.65.

Take that Starbucks!

No comments:

Post a Comment