Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Carbaholic

Hi. I'm Bonnie and I am a Carbaholic.

It's a real problem. Especially when you're a diabetic.

Lucky for me, my addiction comes out only during a certain time of the month, if you catch my...flow. Apparently, I carb load in preparation for my period. My body is preparing, like I'm about to run a marathon. It knows it needs to store energy to survive. What's the cheesy pinterest saying? "Never trust anything that bleeds for 5 days and doesn't die."

Anyway, now that I divulged waaay more information then you ever really wanted to know about my menstrual cycle, I've been trying to find ways to feed my cravings without killing my diet (and insulin pump). And I have been failing. MISERABLY. Hello brownies!

In attempt to get back on course and still curb my carb cravings, I made these delicious, healthy chocolate muffins....and ate 3 of them for breakfast.

Cinnamon Chocolate Muffins

by Bonnie Graham
Cook Time: 16 - 18 minutes
Keywords: bake dessert breakfast snack low-carb cinnamon oats
Ingredients (12 muffins)
  • 1 3/4 c oats
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 c unsweetened cocoa
  • 1/2 c unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional - if you want it spicy!)
  • 1/2 c plain yogurt
  • 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 c water
  • 1/4 c stevia extract cup or 3/4 c sweetener of choice
  • 1/2 c chocolate chips
Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with foil cupcake liners (paper ones will stick) or spray tin with cooking spray.
2. In a blender, (or food processor), mix all of the ingredients together, except for the chocolate chips. Blend until oats are ground and mixture is smooth. Alternatively, you can use oat flour and mix everything in a mixing bowl once the oats are ground.
3. Place mixture in a bowl and stir in the chocolate chips
4. Place muffins tins in the oven for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, you can choose to remove the muffins from the oven and add some extra chocolate chips on top, but it's not necessary.
5. Continue to back for an additional 4-7 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment