Wednesday, September 21, 2011

End of Summer....

One of my favorite things about summer is the tomatoes! I love fresh, ripe garden tomatoes! Sometimes, I'll just slice them up and eat with a little bit of salt. So good! I'm always sad at the end of the summer, not only because I won't see the sun again until May, but because I know tomato season is soon tapped out. 

When it's the season for it, I like making fresh plum tomato sauce, using actual real tomatoes! It's a little more time consuming then using canned tomatoes, but oh so good. I have fantasies of eventually jarring some up and giving them as gifts for the holidays. If it wasn't for the overwhelming fear of giving my friends and families a wicked case of Botulism.


Homemade Tomato Sauce

Ingredients
2 lbs ripe plum tomatoes
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 handful fresh basil
salt and pepper
olive oil

Method
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. While waiting for the water to boil, cut a small "x" on the bottoms of each tomato.
2. When water is at a boil, drop a few tomatoes at a time into the pot. Let the tomatoes boil for 1 - 2 minutes depending on the size of the tomato. Then drop boiled tomato into a cold water bath. This is help you peel the tomatoes' skins. If you don't mind the skins, then you can skip this step and just diced the tomatoes with their skins on. You will also diced the skinned tomatoes.
3. Heat up onions, garlic, and oregano in olive oil. When onions and garlic start to brown, add your diced tomatoes. Salt and pepper.
4. Bring your tomatoes to a simmer. Let the sauce simmer for an hour to an hour and half. Add the fresh basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment